Saturday, October 9, 2010

splash

A little while ago, I decided to take a post-lunch siesta. While falling asleep generally doesn't tend to be a problem for me, I couldn't seem to turn off my thoughts. They kept returning to one thing: Helado Splash. I tried to resist, to just keep my eyes closed and wait for sleep to come, but after a few moments I knew what I had to do. I had to get Splash. I needed it.

What is Helado Splash? There are no words. It will suffice to say that it is a frozen yogurt and fruit combination that has changed my life. You know how in the States it's popular to get plain flavored frozen yogurt and mix in fruit or candy bar chunks or whatever? It's the same idea, only a million times better. Here, they put it in a blender! And it's only RD $70, which is just over US $2. To be more specific, Helado Splash is the establishment, and their delicious product is called "Yogurt Fruits"(yet another anglicism).
Yogen Früz is a very similar but slightly more expensive version of Helado Splash. Yummm.

So I jumped up out of bed and hastily grabbed my wallet. I threw it into my tote and hurried out the door and across the busy street to await an "M" concho. (Conchos are public cars with fixed routes around the city. Like an American bus, except it's an ancient Toyota Corolla that may or may not have a couple of holes in the floor. They fit seven people in a car that's intended to fit five. And they're great! I love them because you can get across town in no time for only 50 cents.) I waited a minute and a half that seemed like an hour, because all I could think of was Splash! I eyed the father and daughter standing near me and wondered if they were also waiting for an M; if they were and the next one was almost full, would it be unethical for me to shove past them and get in it myself? Fortunately it turned out they wanted a K, not an M, which put an end to my dilemma. But where was the concho that would carry me to my blissful destination?

Finally I saw an old, sputtering, pathetic vehicle in the distance, with an "M" plastered on the windshield. I waved my arm frantically and unnecessarily and then yanked the door open before it came to a complete stop. I placated myself during the five-minute ride by thinking ahead of time what combination I would get. Should I go bitter or sweet? Should I try coconut this time? "¡DONDE PUEDA!" I screeched, realizing we were nearly there. I scrambled out of the car and made a beeline for the 3rd floor of Bella Terra Mall, barely noticing this time the hissing and "Oye, Americana"-esque remarks. I didn't slow down until I reached the counter. "Pequeño con piña mango y coco," I said breathlessly. (Small with pineapple, mango and coconut: my favorite combination so far.)  My heart rate finally slowed when I sat peacefully at a white plastic table next to the counter and took my first delicious bite, which was everything I had hoped for and more.

Don't start judging me and assuming I've become one of those girls who goes all the way across town to sit and eat ice cream alone. That is only partially true. Allow me to justify myself. First of all, it is only 150 calories, and it has fruit, so it is practically healthy. I only get fruit four times a week, for crying out loud. Also, I'm not the only one. My friend Sydney goes to Splash on her breaks in between classes! And for good reason. It is just that delicious.

the Jimenoa waterfall in Jarabacoa, DR
...And then there's the fact that eating tasty low-calorie frozen yogurt is one of the few things that could distract me, at least momentarily, from the two things that have been bothering me today: first, that I am feeling really homesick, and second, that I have no idea what my life is going to look like seven short months from now. I'm having a great time here, though. Last weekend I went horseback riding through the mountains on a trail that led to the most gorgeous waterfall I could've imagined. There is nothing like racing through a river on horseback with the wind in your face; I seriously felt like I was in a movie.

So please don't think that I'm complaining, because now that I know enough Spanish to at least get around, I'm really enjoying it. But sometimes I can't help but think about how the leaves are probably changing at home right now, and about  what it would look like if we were taking our dogs out for a walk. And how if I were in Wheaton right now, what it would be like to go out to Starbucks and get a pumpkin spice latte with my best friends.

Which leads to my next source of inquietude, which is that I have no idea what I'm going to be doing with my life after I graduate in May.  I'm not so concerned about where I'll work as much as where I'll live. I could see myself in Chicago or Atlanta or LA, and I've even thought about taking a year to do missions in South America.  Most of my friends will probably live in or near Chicago; my family is near Atlanta; LA is where I fell in love with urban ministry. I feel like my heart is in a million different places and I don't know where I belong. Or if I even want to "belong" somewhere yet.

Fortunately, it's hard to stay worried when your life is in a tropical paradise and you have hours' worth of Spanish literature homework awaiting you. This is the first time I've thought seriously about the future since being here, and I doubt it'll cross my mind too often in the months to come either. So don't worry, I'm not going to spend the rest of my semester worrying needlessly and pointlessly about what's to come!

And if I do, Helado Splash is only a concho ride away.


2 comments:

  1. I thought [and kind of wish] you were going to say, "I only get fruit YOGURT four times a week." instead of just fruit. hahah
    I LOVE IT. Eat some for me! You know that you burn calories when you eat frozen food. Get it girl.
    ps: Plan on moving in with me. I don't know where yet either. ADVENTURE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, i feel your pain. I have to figure out my life in 8 weeks!! ahh! but btw those gorgeous children, that delicous yogurt and that beautiful waterfall, i think you're in a better state of mind than me, haha. Skype soon!

    ReplyDelete